Thursday, July 18, 2013

EBay Missed Connections

Now here's something you'll never find on Craglist's missed connections: "I saw you next a dumpster. Just sitting there looking lonely and in need of a friend. You wanted to shine. You wanted to project. You wanted to remember the golden years with someone who would appreciate them. I know you didn't see me, but I took pictures of you without your knowledge. I contemplated taking you in. But, too many now a days become hoarders because of one experience. I was afraid you would get me high and then I would need a storage shed of all those other discarded gems sitting lonely near a dumpster. Besides, I'm not into polygamy. Well, I was wearing black flip flops, grey shorts, a Red Sox shirt with a B on it, and a ball cap. I'm fairly overweight, too. So, if you're interested, I am too." 

OK, probably a bit more corny than need be. But, who gives a bleep. I found this Keystone Regal K-109 8mm projector. last summer sitting next to the dumpster near where I lived. It had the box near it and it looked like it was in great condition. I was so tempted to snag it. I even posted a picture on facebook about it and got a few responses.

Fast forward now. It's well know by all you 121 returning visitors (GoogleAnalytics), who leave no comments, I have been selling on Ebay. And it has been pretty fun. It's actually getting a bit addictive. I mean I haven't been dumpster diving or anything. I was thinking of hitting some antique stores, after finding out what's currently popular right now among collectors, and finding those items to auction. But, here it is. An antique I passed up on. The other day the thought crossed my mind that I still had the pictures of it and that I could look it up on Ebay (click this link to see what one person has it up for). I was surprised to see what I could have received monetarily. It shocked me and pissed me off all at once. I wished so much I had picked up because it looked cool. Having done so would have earned me nearly a hundred or so dollars. A lesson learned. Now whenever I pass a dumpster, I peek around it. If the doors are open I'll peer into it. The part I have a problem with is going in to retrieve something. I guess it would depend on the time of day. Maybe it would be still there when I'm able to get a little sink on to get a little cash on.

I should post the first paragraph of this Craigslist to see the responses, then devote a post strictly to the responses. I wonder how many funny ones will there will be. If any at all!

As they say "One man's junk, is another man's treasure." That statement could not be anymore true in this the age of the internet.

If anyone has their own experience that relates or you were able to sell, please share. I'm interested in what people have found and what they did with it. With your permission of course, I'd like to share the story on here. I think it would be pretty fun.

No comments: